I will start by saying that India is growing digitally, all thanks to Digital India. Not only are we going cashless after the demonetisation but this entire process has been beneficial especially to the youth. That’s because some amazing offers came by from various payment platforms and stores, not to forget OTT platforms like ZEE5. Hence, it is not a surprise why web series and digital premieres of movies have created a huge stir in the world. Not only is it convenient, but you can subscribe to the platform for an incredibly affordable price. All you need is a streaming device and a good internet connection.
Of late, binge-watching web series is everyone’s favourite thing to do at home, especially during the weekends. Keeping with the trend, today I am going to talk about a ZEE5 Bengali original web series called Sharate Aaj. It is quite an exciting series for Bengali fans, who thoroughly enjoyed Kaali, ZEE5 and Parambrata Chatterjee’s last collaboration. So, on finding some interesting information about the series, I am here to share it with you.
Here are five reasons why you should binge watch Sharate Aaj!
- Cultural Music – Firstly, the web series is beautifully curated with a mix of Rabindra Sangeet, and folk songs like Aaj Dhaner Khete rearranged by Sahana Bajpaie along with Mr Samantak Sinha. Both of them are renowned artists and have been flattered for their impeccable contribution to Bengali music. I, personally, think that the music adds an distinct Bengali essence to this thriller series, giving a more intriguing experience to the viewers.
- The Director – Sharate Aaj is directed by the prominent Bengali actor Parambrata Chattopadhyay. A known face in both Bengali and Hindi film industries, Parambrata has donned many hats over his career – actor, director, writer and producer. In 2018, he produced his first web series named ‘Kaali’ that was released on ZEE5. But with Sharate Aaj, he has not only directed the series but also played the lead role in Sharate Aaj. This makes Sharate Aaj interesting to see, especially to check out how Parambrata manages multiple creative roles in this series.
- Cast – The powerful star cast of this web series include renowned Bengali actors like Payel Sarkar, Riddhi Sen, Surangana Bandyopadhyay, Kanchan Mallik, Joydip Mukherjee, Bidipta Chakraborty and Soumya Sengupta other than Parambrata Chattopadhyay. All the actors have done a commendable job. With each of them having powerful roles, their performances make us connect to the character very well.
- The Storyline – In Parambrata’s words “Sharate Aaj is the story of identity crisis, cultural bonding and a terror threat, making the show an edge-of-the-seat thriller. This series about NRI Bengalis from India and Bangladesh living in London, who come together to get ready for the upcoming Durga Puja, an event that is very close to every Bengali’s heart. An interesting approach to thrilling yet relevant themes, the storyline of Sharate Aaj is as gripping as it gets.
- Production – Sharate Aaj was completely shot in London. It meticulously showcases the close-knit Bengali community in the city and the preparation for the upcoming Pujo. It is very curious to see how the director, Parambrata Chattopadhyay, captured the Bengali culture so prominently out there in a different country altogether. This shows the kind of efforts that went into making this ZEE5 original.
I feel this is the first time the industry has gone out of the box in producing and directing an entire Bengali web series in a different country. Also, it was an interesting thought for ZEE5 to release Sharate Aaj on February 21st 2019 on The International Mother Language Day. For those unaware, the states of West Bengal and Tripura in India follow and celebrate this Day by paying tribute to their unsung heroes. Moreover, all the Bengalis in India and abroad celebrate the Day for the sacrifice of lives just for the sake of their first language, Bangla.
What are you waiting for? Head on to ZEE5 to binge watch it this weekend.